Upside-Down Thinking by Patric Fransko
by Patric Fransko
January 20th, 2021

A Good Marketing Strategy for 2021 Starts With Google

Well the holidays are over and it’s time to focus on 2021 and what you hope to accomplish this year. With some luck, the pandemic’s impact on the economy will lessen as we navigate through this year and things will be looking much more normal as the months go by. Despite the pandemic, many in our industry had a very good year in 2020 and want to keep the ball rolling. However, some saw their businesses take a step back and are looking to regain some momentum. This short article is my advice for some easy steps to get your marketing moving in the right direction as we head into 2021.

Three Google Elements That Are Foundational Pieces of Any Marketing Strategy

  1. Keep Your SEO Optimized – Of course, search engine optimization (SEO) impacts all search engines and not just Google, but some studies place Google’s percentage of all search engine traffic at roughly 87%. So we are focused on Google. If you do things to help you on Google, typically the other 13% respond positively as well.
    With that said, website SEO is not a “set it and forget it” type of thing. Google is constantly making changes to the algorithm that determines where your website will show up in various searches. These changes are something my agency is always studying in an effort to make numerous small changes to the back end of websites to keep them optimized. Without ongoing tweaks based on these Google changes, it is likely that your website search engine performance will degrade over time. Maybe slowly or maybe quickly depending on the change. Because of this, it is worth a look at least annually to make sure you are giving Google the things they are looking for in order for your website to rank well.
  2. Google My Business Pages – I have written about the importance of your Google My Business page in past articles and it is my hope that you have claimed your page, verified it and completed the information. If not, I urge you to make this a priority. If you have a page and it is verified and completed, your work is not done. Like SEO, you want to check in on this page as Google often makes other options available that you will want to take advantage of. You should also be regularly adding posts and pictures here much like you do on Facebook and other social channels. Your Google My Business page determines how you show up in the Google Map Pack for local searches. This is becoming as important as your website SEO, please give it regular attention to ensure you are getting the most benefit.
  3. Google Reviews – You can never have too many good reviews, and in my opinion, a Google Review is worth the most. While reviews on Yelp or Facebook are good, neither has the potential to impact your search engine rankings like a Google Review. It is worth the effort to create a system in which you are getting regular reviews on Google. Make it easy for your customers. Send them an email with the link right to your Google Review page. The less hassle it is for someone to leave a review, the more likely they are to do so. These positive reviews are like money in the bank that will pay dividends into the future, so don’t overlook this important marketing strategy.

I hope this article has given you a couple of ways to get your marketing efforts for 2021 moving in the right direction. These three elements do not require advertising dollars and can all have a big impact on how visible your company is online. It is important to get these foundational pieces correct as most other marketing efforts will be built upon them.

Happy New Year! Wishing you a great 2021!

This blog is from Focus on Film, the weekly e-newsletter that covers the latest news regarding window film and related products, including paint protection film. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Window Film magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

Tags: , , ,

Leave Comment